Curious About Working With a Ghostwriter? Here Are Some Answers to Common Questions.
But First, a Quick Rundown on What Book Ghostwriting Is And Isn’t.
Book ghostwriting is:
A collaboration where you, the author, provide the idea, concept or source material for a business book, a self-help book or a memoir. I, the ghostwriter, work with you to gauge the viability of your idea, provide any additional research and develop your manuscript so that it says what you want it to say.
Book ghostwriting isn’t:
- Dictating and transcribing, or writing a book based on the ghostwriter’s original concept
- Revising a manuscript based on the author’s changes
- Typing up a manuscript to incorporate the author’s changes
In essence, the ghostwriter produces a manuscript you can present to traditional publishers or self-publish. You own and retain all rights when your book is published.
What’s your typical process?
If you have a partial manuscript:
- I’ll review your source material to gauge where you are in the process.
If you have a manuscript draft:
- I’ll review it and provide an assessment that includes strengths, weaknesses and recommendations for improving what you already have.
Next steps with a partial or manuscript draft:
- I’ll present you with an outline I’ll use as the roadmap to develop the manuscript.
- Once we’ve agreed on the outline, I’ll plan and organize the source material and move through the following phases: researching, restructuring, integrating missing information, ghostwriting, line editing, copyediting and proofreading.
- We’ll keep tabs on the progress via phone, Skype or other teleconference method twice-monthly or monthly through each draft to polish the manuscript.
What if I have no manuscript or notes–just an idea; can we still work together?
Yes. We can hammer out the essence of your book over several phone/Skype sessions. From there, I’ll develop an outline to use as a blueprint to develop your manuscript.
How long will it take to complete my manuscript?
Six months to a year, depending on the nature of the topic, the source material you provide and the amount of research needed to complete the manuscript.
How much does ghostwriting a typical manuscript cost?
A ghostwriter is your invisible weapon in putting your ideas onto paper. Ghostwriting involves disseminating large amounts of information, extracting the gold and, developing it into a marketable manuscript–all while staying true to your original concept, intent and voice. So it’s not cheap, but it’s a wise investment for serious authors who want to cross the finish line.
How will we meet and work together?
Our highly connected world makes collaborating easier than ever. So we’ll chat by phone, via Skype or face-to-face if we decide visiting the other’s city is beneficial to us both.
Check out my book ghostwriting services to discover how I can help speed up your journey from idea to finished manuscript.
If you’re ready to jump right in, contact me today to set up a 20-minute call.